19 January 2012

Stigma

At one of those points again - my dreams feel utterly unachievable. 
I put on my profile page what I feel to be the most accurate part of my diagnosis. However they (psychiatrists etc) see my main diagnosis as Borderline Personality Disorder (note - I do not! I don't meet the criteria, they just don't know what's wrong and that's the closest fitting label they can slap on me, and one that also means they have to do sod all!). Here are a few quotes from a recent article on Personality disorders written by a UK psychiatrist: 'the personality disorder itself will always be there'... 'absolutely not a mental illness.. it's in the very fibre of their being' but this is the one that really made me angry: 'A person with a personality disorder is in full control of their actions and behaviours, just like the rest of us. Of course they are - their personality disorder is them.'
So they see this disorder as me... woah woah woah, hold on a sec - Let's just be clear here - THIS IS NOT WHO I AM. Telling someone they are their disorder surely cannot help anyone. Basically, you're not ill, it's just you. How does that help anyone apart from the mh services - letting them 'off the hook' - you shouldn't force someone to change who they are, so they don't have to do anything. 
I don't feel I meet the criteria for BPD; I have been diagnosed with co-existing depression, but no appropriately aggressive treatment or therapy has been offered for it. A referral for an assessment for aspergers syndrome was mentioned, and I was under the impression I was just waiting for a date for the appointment, (4 months ago) but unknown to me, my doctor had decided that even if I did have aspergers, they wouldn't change my treatment so having a diagnosis wouldn't help me. Wouldn't just knowing I do or don't have it help me to understand myself better? Going to make an appointment with her to discuss it...
The attitudes towards Personality Disorders really anger me. I think right now, it's about as understood as autism was 25 years ago. Lets hope the same amount of research and awareness goes on to bust the stigma and incorrect assumptions a lot of people make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment