Anyway, Mum was trying to sort out payment options etc, and they won't do frequent Direct Debits type things, unless there is a reason why I can't have a pay-as-you-go meter... (they're a nightmare... especially up here, if I ran out of electric, it's about 6 miles to the nearest place I can top-up) so... it is a privately rented property, so I'd have to ask the landlord... (and get him to say no, which I'm sure he will.. who's going to want a payg meter when I move out?).
Then she said to go and read the meter, as there is another bill due now (ugh) and the latest reading would make it more accurate... I'd used about 350 day units, and 2000 night units... which she seemed shocked by (didn't believe we'd read the meter right... they're not THAT complicated!) She did some calculations and insisted we were wrong, as 2000 night units would be about a £1300 bill...
That was a couple of days ago, so been intensely stressed about that (on top of everything else) since, thinking either
a) the wiring's faulty and possibly dangerous, (meaning potential legal battle with landlord),
b) a neighbour is tapping into my service, (meaning a potential legal prosecution against a neighbour), or
c) these heaters are actually an electric black hole,
All of which would mean I would have to move.
So my head has been somewhat spinning at the speed of flipping light, thought tonight I would see how much electricity other people's night storage heaters used - turns out about 1/2 - 3/4 of what mine use in kWh terms. And their bills weren't excessive. So I looked up my SSE tariff, and did the calculations myself, my bill comes to around £207, (I can't remember exactly how many day units); only about a tenner more than last quarter. It's still bloody expensive, but supposable. I think she did 2000 x 6.64p and divided my 10 instead of 100 to get price in pounds, meaning what actually is about a £130 she said was a £1300 bill. >.<
I'll double check the meter readings against the tariff in the morning, and get some help getting in contact with my letting agent to ask the landlord about this payg meter thing, but it means I don't have to worry about moving... I like my flat... it could do with some modernising, and it's a bit noisier now there's someone living above me, but it's enough for me.
So my head can hopefully reduce it's spinning back to it's usual (although still mostly intolerably high) rate, and I can get back to thinking about things I need to think about.
Think I can get my bill reduced for their staff causing damaging stress through being useless at maths? :P if only!
Night all
X
p.s. sorry about the lack of sentences, it tends to happen when I think and write very fast!
p.s. sorry about the lack of sentences, it tends to happen when I think and write very fast!
No comments:
Post a Comment